Thursday, July 24, 2008

Poor in Spirit or ADD

My desk is a mess. My kids are screaming outside my "office" door. I have a lot to do and I don't know what to do next. All this is swirling around me and inside me. If I were to look at this problem materialistically the answers would flood in easily, "Clean your desk. Get some quiet space. Make a to do list."

While doing some reading (How a Man Prays for His Family by John Yates) in a rare moment of quiet I was struck by what my problem and the solution was. Yates was talking about what makes it hard for a man to pray: not objective, the clutter of our minds and demands of our lives that don't make it easy to make space or focus on prayer. And then he pointed me to something so "duh" and obvious. Jesus promised "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

When I don't know what to do or what I want or do next and feel generally fed up with the world and myself, what am I at that moment? Here's a guess, "POOR IN SPIRIT." Since I don't diagnose myself the way Christ does, I will never seek a spiritual solution. I will most likely consult lifehacker.com, wired.com, apple.com downloads for a solution to my cluttered desk and my cluttered mind.

Jesus is the King of my cluttered soul. But I have not trained myself to bow to this King in the middle of the clutter. Here in the mess I am blessed. I must turn to the King and claim my place in the kingdom of heaven that is at work at remaking earth into the shape of heaven's peace and order and joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is during these times of overwhelming stress that we must surrender to the Universe (God).It can be so difficult to do. Surrender sounds weak, but it infact requires a lot of strength.. You have a great site..