Friday, December 29, 2006

Insomniacs


I know people who regularly experience insomnia. It drains them of energy and can begin to wear on the psyche. I had a few hours of insomnia last night. Thanks to Starbucks and God's grace, I'm cruising and getting a lot done. T.S. Eliot describes feminine insomnia quite poignantly in "The Dry Salvages". This goes out to my wife and my sisters who are on the night watch:

The tolling bell
measures time not our time, rung by the unhurried
Ground swell, a time
Older than the time of chronometers, older
Than time counted by anxious worried women
Lying awake, calculating the future,
Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,
Between midnight and dawn, when the past is all deception,
The future futureless, before the morning watch
When time stops and time is never ending . . .

Those last lines point us towards eternity. Sleepless nights seem like an eternity, yet eternity is drawing our hearts forward, the grace of God has covered our past, and in sleepless nights and restless days "he is the song of my life."


1 comment:

Nan said...

Aww. You're so sweet. Glad you are getting lots done. All hail Starbucks!